Paying your business state taxes electronically can be accomplished easily and securely through bank provided services. Occasionally, state tax authorities enact changes that affect the information that needs be submitted with the payment. When these types of changes are made, the state tax authorities will notify affected businesses through the US mail. While the state tax authorities have the mailing addresses for business tax payers, they may not know how to contact banks and payment service providers who are sending electronic payments on behalf of business tax payers. The purpose of the portal is to provide state authorities with a means to easily notify banks and payment service providers about changes that impact business tax payment services. Businesses are welcome to enroll to receive notices too. However, subscribing to this notification service does not replace official communications that will be sent to you by state tax authorities. You will still receive official communications as warranted from state tax authorities through their existing channels.
What is the state tax change portal?
The State Tax Change Portal - by NACHA - was developed to:
- Improve the timeliness and quality of communications between states and service providers regarding changes that affect ACH payments for business taxes
- Provide more lead-time for banks and service providers to implement changes
- Reduce risk and cost associated with misdirected payments and returns
What are the Benefits of Paying State Taxes Electronically?
- Trust your bank to send accurate and secure state tax payments
- Paying your business state taxes electronically can be accomplished easily and securely through bank provided services. Contact your bank for more information.
- Lower risk for incurring penalties and late fees
- It's important to know what information is required to accompany your state tax payment. When state tax authorities enact changes that affect electronic payments, they will notify you by US mail. You may also register to receive notices from the portal to stay current on changes throughout all participating state tax authorities.
- Avoid the hassle of writing checks with convenient electronic payments.
- Many banks offer services that allow you to manage your accounts online, including the ability to send payments electronically to state tax authorities. Contact your bank for more information.
- Help the environment
- Relying on paper processes uses considerable natural resources. For more information on environmental impacts, see PayitGreen.org.